Monday, September 22, 2008

A Great Day...

Today we had class and then went to Belfast after lunch. We went to the Lenin Hall Library which is the largest library in all of Ireland. They are famous for their political archives section and we were admitted access and given a tour. They were so generous and have allowed us free access to the archives for the remainder of our time here in Ireland. The experience was one I will never forget and I hope to go back soon. The library is not government owned so there is no censorship on what is allowed into the library: this means that many 'banned' documents are in the archives representing both sides of the dispute. It was so interesting. One book I found incredibly intriguing was one with quotes from children of their opinions of the dispute in Ireland.

After the library we were allowed free time in the city. A group of us went to a few neat shops and then hung outside of the mall waiting for the others. While waiting I decided it would be fun to do the limbo. Ha...I'm always up for games! Anyways some of the Irish kids sitting around on the benches near us asked if they could join. Next thing you know we had a full fledged limbo party going on outside of the mall on the sidewalk in the middle of Belfast! Crazy stuff. It was so interesting to talk with some of them and an eye opener as well. One girl said she believes all American's are millionaires with beautiful blonde hair. I quickly told her that was not an accurate assumption, but even more wondered if that is what we really portray?

I need to go because some of us girls are going to have a bonfire on the beach! I will write again soon.

All My Love,
KT

No comments: