Friday, October 24, 2008

Digging Deep

Hello Everyone -

I woke up today and went down stairs to eat a bowl of cereal. From the window, I watched the bay fill as the tide came in, and sat there for a moment just thinking. It is pretty surreal - this whole experience I am having. I miss everyone so much, but at the same time, I do not want this time, this experience, this moment in my life to end. I am learning so many things - so many things unplanned for. I am learning so many things that do not pertain merely to 'school and university'. I am learning so many things about myself, about the world, about God, about life and living. I do not want to lose 'this'.

This whole time abroad has placed me on an island in both a literal and symbolic sense. Unlike other trips, or study abroad programs, we are not in the middle of fast paced life. We are not 'in the city' or living on a busy campus. At first, this was one aspect I was not looking forward to, but I was wrong to have my doubts. There is something deep within you that takes place when you are able to rest your soul for a time. I say soul because that is what I feel. I feel my soul is at rest in this place. There is something to be said of the opportunity to reflect in a tranquil and beautiful place - something to be said of the allowed silence as you jog down the bay with the Mourne Mountains before you.

I have learned things and seen things I will never forget. We have six weeks left and I am trying to live each moment here to the absolute fullest as the days are zooming by. I know that God has me here in this place, for this time. I know that He will ready my heart to return in December. I pray that I take with me all that I was supposed to learn, that I absorb all this place has to offer, that I am alert and attentive as this experience continues...and maybe, just maybe, I will be able to capture enough to share with you all; though obviously, unless you live it, it will only ever be a retelling - and for that, I am sorry, because I wish you could all have this experience.

Thinking of You All, Praying You are Well. Until next time!...

Love,
Kaitlyn


Oh and Mom and Dad - Remind me to tell you about the Police Headquarters we visited today!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes, a part of me wishes I could be there experiencing for myself what you are learning and experiencing. The mountains and the ocean coming together has always been a spectacular sight to behold in pictures, but to see it in person has to be incredible! I have always said that God was so loving when He created the beauty He did in nature when He didn't really have to. I think He knew that it could bring us closer to Him if we would allow it to do so. I am so thankful you are being able to experience it in person, to actually reflect on its beauty. I am also thankful that you are there because I know it is where God wants you to be right now ~ even though your absence is greatly felt. I will be praying that you are a sponge soaking in all that He desires so you may feel His presence like never before. I love you precious one....MOM :-)

Kim said...

I'm so jealous that I can't be there right now with you experiencing it all again! Of course I was only there for 6 weeks, but those were fantastic. I hope that the next 6 are just as precious for you!