Friday, November 28, 2008

Thanksgiving Celebration in Northern Ireland

Hello to All -

Well, I wanted to write this because I have had many inquiries regarding..."Thanksgiving in Ireland". As you all know, Thanksgiving is an American holiday...how therefore would one celebrate while in another country? I do not know about others, but I will tell you what transpired here yesterday. And for all concerned...I was stuffed to the brim, and smiling, so no worries there.

There are only three girls staying in my house right now (myself included). Yesterday we woke up, lit the fire in the living room, and finished baking the last of the deserts. Afterwards, we bundled up, and walked to Nicholas and Kathleen Laning's House (right up the road), where the 'grand meal' was to take place. Nicholas and Kathleen are some dear friends of ours that we have made while here. They are actually from Texas, so they were anxious for some American company. Needless to say, the day proceeded, and we had the usual turkey and cranberry sauce, pecan and pumpkin pies, mashed potatoes, rolls, gravy - you name it, we had it. It was great, but what I most enjoyed was our Irish company. Hadden and Betty joined, as well as many friends from the Murlough House. It was such a blessing to see how eager our Irish friends were to make 'Thanksgiving' so special for us. There was great concern that we were missing it in the states, and I have never seen such giving spirits in how they worked to give us our 'holiday'. Talk about the real meaning of Thanksgiving. Sitting in the Laning's yesterday, cuddled up in their small living room, feet warming by the fire, with about twenty others packed in around me - all laughing and talking and sharing...it was really something special. We were all without 'our family', yet we created a family of random, unique, and varied people, from Ireland to America, and goodness it had me smiling. What a day!

Simultaneously when all of the business ended - I started feeling the pains of missing my family. It was the first time it really hit me like that, and whenever I was able to Skype with my entire family, grandparents and cousins, aunts and uncles, mom and dad, let's just say the tears were free falling for a moment or two. I really do cherish my family. How blessed I am!

Anyways, I need to get ready b/c Jordan and I are grabbing a bus to Belfast. Thought I would fill you all in quick! And please know that it was a wonderful day. God is such a provider.

And Park - Happy Belated Birthday to you! I pray it was a wonderful one for you.

My All!
Kaitlyn

No comments: