Friday, November 7, 2008

Mother and Father

I know the title of this post is kind of random, but I will explain, just give me a moment. I went running this morning (something I take great joy in). I ran and ran and ran - because when I run, I think, I contemplate, and mainly, I pray. I suppose today I found lots to think on, to contemplate, and always, to pray on. When I run - that is my time, no distractions, just me and the path, feet hitting the ground, wind on my face - free. I love it.

This morning, as I was running I got to see the sun coming up and as I crossed to a path near the shoreline and saw the rising sun through the reflection on the water, it was truly and wonderfully breathtaking. Pure beauty - there really are no words...and in that moment, the only thing I could think of was my beautiful mother and amazing father. My mom and my dad.

I realize the more I grow, how much of my parents I have in me. I think I have my mothers laugh, and I know I have her brown eyes. I have her love of reading and writing - and so many other attributes, I am blessed that she is mine. I have my fathers passion for history, and love for outdoors - His quirkiness and 'pondering' - and so many other attributes. I am blessed that he is mine.

I have always felt incredibly blessed to have the parents that I have. God is good. Despite feeling blessed, it hasn't been until recently that I have been able to reflect upon my relationship with them. It hasn't been until recently that I have been able to look back through the years I spent under their roof and simply smile. This is why I smile...

My mother is beautiful. I may be biased, but she simply is. She is beauty through and through - from the inside out. She is so compassionate and so passionate. She has a love for living that is absolutely contagious. Others draw near to her, because she is a light, and no one wants to be in the dark. She is so full of wisdom and grace, and when she speaks others listen. She is so sweet and so caring. I love that she would put on plays with me and my brother when we were little (A Nativity Play etc.), or rearrange the furniture with us before a game of hide-and-seek so that we could hide behind the couch. I love that she says "Woo Hoo" and puts on lipstick while she's driving. I love her, flaws and perfections, because she is my mother, and I am blessed. Wow.

My father is incredible. I may be biased, but he simply is. He is such an example to me and my brother. He had it pretty rough growing up, and whenever I look at him, I know that I am seeing an absolute miracle. He is so strong and so admirable. He really listens when you speak, and hears what you have to say. He has always believed in me and my abilities and is always encouraging whenever I have an idea. AND he is sooo funny. I admit, he may tell science teacher jokes, but at least I am always laughing. I love that he would buy my brother and I kites and fly them with us in the field by our house, or bring home animals, like snakes and baby opossums and teach me about them when I was little. I love that he talks things through aloud to himself, and that he reads the encyclopedia. I love him, flaws and perfections, because he is my father, and I am blessed. Wow.

Maybe this wasn't the 'Ireland' post that you were all looking for, but this is my blog, and this is what I wanted to write.

Also, Mom and Dad, I just want to say thank you. My cup runneth over.

Kaitlyn


Playing Hide & Seek

And baby Garris and Dad (I just like the picture).

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What can I say to such an uplifting blog other than it made me cry and smile at the same time. How do I thank God for blessing me so abuntantly with such a special and giving daughter ~ except to say "Thank You Lord...You are so giving!" I read your blog to your dad and even he cried. It isn't often that a child expresses what you have expressed to a parent. We both know that your thoughtfulness ~ your words of encouragement ~ are a gift gift that you have always had even as a child. When God touched your life, He did so in such a special way. We are so thankful that He chose us to be your parents. May we always continue to be the parents you don't mind claiming and loving b/c we absolutely love you with our entire heart and soul. My cup will always runneth over b/c of you and the way God blesses us each and every day. Thank you for the words you shared. Those words will be forever remembered. MOM :-)

Viktoria F. said...

Hello Kait! I've found your blog...and even I didn't read the last posts, this one made me stop scrolling the page and read it.
It is so amazing that nowadays there are children who really are thankful to their parent! All you've written here made me cry. I could hardly see through tears, but .... uhhh, I can't find the right words....

Thank God, for you and for your parents, and for whole your amazing family!
I'll be praying for you.
Blessings!